Swine Flu :S
Well as many of you know the Swine Flu hit Mexico, however there aren't any cases where I am. It was such a weird thing to see people wearing masks everywhere we went. It was sort of a unsettling feeling. The president of Mexico closed school for an extra two weeks which was a hate/love event. I enjoyed not going to school and having some extra time to do whatever. However, NOTHING was open during this time. Movie theaters, malls, pools, etc. were closed which made things a little frustrating! To top it off, it is becoming pretty darn hot!! It's still 100 or plus sometimes at 11 or 12 at night. It seems pretty crazy to me because I compare it to home and think we are lucky that it's a dry hot heat. The combination of heat and closed places, some of us pooled our money and bought a kiddie pool; that's right a kiddie pool. It was pretty funny when we all climbed in to cool off and sat all crossed legged in a pool that maybe was a foot deep. The things we do to beat the heat! It was one of the best investments that I have made so far in Mexico.
Well....since I am only here until July 1st, I have had to try to find a job for next year. Talk about a pain the butt! There is soooo much paperwork and it felt like I was in college again writing reflection papers. Since I am out of the country, it makes getting that perfect job even more difficult. Many nights I would stay up late working on applications and searching. I applied for a ton of jobs. One of the places that I heard from first was a bilingual school in Worthington, MN. They were interested because it is like what I am doing now in Mexico. They were kind enough to wait two weeks to interview me until I got back from spring break. When I got back, they called me. The interview went very well and they called me the next day to offer me the job. I was really excited and pumped but I asked them to call me in two day for my decision. After a lot of thinking and consulting, I took the job. So next year I will be moving to Worthington and starting over. I will be teaching english to 5/6, 7/8 and graders. I am nervous and excited because I haven't had that grade level before. However, it will be a good experience. I will though miss those little kids:).
Spring Break
During Easter, we got 2 weeks and in that time I went all over Mexico. I saw Guanajuato, Mexico City, Morelia, and Guadalajara. I had a good time and it was fun to see and experience the things that I learned in my Spanish classes. In Meixco City, I saw the Aztec pyramids and the colorful boats in Xochimilco. Morelia was a lot of fun because it was sooooo peaceful and beautiful. I also loved the food and those of you who know me, know that I am pretty picky when it comes to food. Guadalajara was ok...my favorite part was the hotel. Man it was soooo nice and cheap. We slept in and ordered cheap room service. It sure beat the weird mosquito infested hostel that I stayed in for a week in Mexico City. Overall it was a pretty good time and I will put some links at the end of the blog so you can view some pictures. (http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq)
I also went to a Backstreet boys concert. That is right and BSB concert...hahaha. It was funny to see a whole spanish speaking culture obesssed with those boys. We all sang along and remembered all the words haha...ooooo middle school:).
1 comment:
what even I remember back street boys songs fun. can't believe you finally blogged. ;-) Glad to hear you have a job too. and pictures wow you did good sounds like you had fun even the kiddie pool looked entertaining. See you soon
Post a Comment