Wednesday, August 20, 2008

¡Ay Carumba! How many people does it take to fix a stapler?!

I can't get over how quickly this week is speeding by. Tomorrow is already Thursday and that means I have less than a day to get my planning for next week finished and I have until Friday to get my room ready for my kids on Monday. I am a little freaked out because of the work load and balancing two different classes but I am up for the challenge I guess...BRING IT ON!:)

Today we spent most of our time in our classrooms planning and getting ready for Monday. It took a lot of team work to get each other’s bulletin boards up. Breanna, Emily, and I worked pretty solidly cutting and gluing and writing and thinking. When I went to use my stapler, it wouldn't open. I had Breanna, Emily, and Gina all try to see if they could fix it and they couldn't. So I found Ana, our coordinator, and she had at least 10-12 people try and see if they could fix it and finally it was decided I needed a new one! It was pretty comical watching everyone try and fix it. After, Breanna and I got all my bulletin boards covered; we headed towards her room to get hers ready. When we got to her room, it was locked and all of her stuff was in there. We then had to go and find someone to let us in and they didn't have a key. So we had to break into the windows. It was pretty funny trying to break into the classroom with a scissors and random keys instead of a screw driver. We left the school about 3 today and we were pretty exhausted and when we got home, we took a break to have tostadas and then got to work planning. It is going to be a long night!
("Hi, I'm Miss Breanna and this is my friend the giraffe")
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday, we had a meeting with our coordinator, Ana, and we went over the teaching manual page by page, word by word. It was good to see what was required of us but yet at the same time a tad overwhelming. They are pretty hardcore here. Homework is to be assigned every night and if the kids don't hand it in 3 times, they are sent to detention! I guess I hope it will help hold my students accountable. The one thing that is going to be hard is getting through the materials. There is so much to cover and so little time. It will be hard to steer away from the workbooks and do some fun things...but I am going to try as much as I can. At our meeting, Anna also gave us the keys to our classroom and our curriculum books. When she gave me the curriculum books I would be using, my mouth dropped a little because I had to get all the books for two grades. All I could do at this point was laugh and get over it. Another thing that made my mouth drop was learning my classroom would need to put on an activity/program for the whole school! Yikes!!After we got our materials and three trips later (I had so many things that it took three trips to get it to my classroom), I found myself staring around the room and thinking...wow this is my classroom and I am the teacher. It was exciting yet at the same time I was thinking...holy, the kids are coming on Monday and I am the one in charge. I didn't do much organizing and planning the rest of the day. After we got home from school, we wanted to go to a teacher store to get materials because the Spanish teachers' rooms were amazing in comparison to ours. So we got in a taxi and headed to the mall across town. When we got to the "teacher" store, we were depressed because there weren't a lot of things and the things that were there, were either too expensive or in Spanish. After we bought the few items that were in English, we decided to hit the food court. We were in luck because it was taco Tuesday and the tacos were AWESOME! When we were finished eating, we left the mall and headed to Soriana for some more little things that we needed; which included a squeegee for my shower!..because it has been having some issues. Later that night, I got a chance to talk to my mom, dad and sibs on SKYPE. It was funny trying to get it to work on both ends but it was worth the headache. While I chatted on SKYPE, many of the girls tried out the free aerobics classes and they said their instructor worked them pretty hard. They were dripping when they got back. I said I would consider it next time:).

At about 7:30, Charro, the principal of the school, called me and asked if we would want some tacos delivered that night. She wanted to send us some tacos as a thank you for switching houses with the boys. I thought it was nice of her to do that. At about 9:30pm there weren't no tacos to be found. We weren't sure what happened but it turned out that the guy who was delivering them was lost...so at about 10:15, we got the famous tacos from Vampiros. I have to say they were very good and was a good way to end the evening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did it! You are there and you are getting the job done; even if it requires breaking into your room. I was disappointed that I missed you, but it may have been God's plan. You didn't need a sobbing professor saying goodbye. I so enjoy your blog and I will be checking on you and your progress periodically. Send me your address, just in case you want some snail mail some time! Best wishes on your first year teaching.
Mrs. Willms