Thursday, August 14, 2008

Whew...we made it:)

3:30am my alarm goes off signaling that it was indeed the day I was to board a plane and head down to Mexico. For the most part I thought I was ready and yet it didn't really set in that in just a couple of hours I would be leaving the place I have known my whole life into a place I have never been for 11 months.

Our flight left at 530 and let me tell you that is too early to do basically anything. I had packed the day before and I was good to go with my luggage. I had 3 bags and Breanna had 2. It was quite a feat to transport two heavy suitcases(only one had wheels), a huge bookbag, and "my purse"(I was cheating the system because well it was large:)) On the way into the airport with my luggage, the graceful person that I am tries to move the bag on my shoulder which breaks the strap and knocks me over and I fall to the ground. (Hopefully no one saw!!:)) I thought it was going to be better once I got over my spill in the elevator. However, we get to the check in and it turns out I was only able to bring 2 bags because of an embargo the US has with MX. So I reluctantly tried to shove the stuff I absolutely needed into one of my bags, hoping that it wouldn't go over 50 lbs. Breanna's mom, Deb, ended up having to take the third bag home which included things I would have liked to have but oh well...

After, the luggage fiasco had been solved; we had about 10 minutes to get to our plane, which included some pretty fast paced walking. We were basically the last ones to board because we were greeted by the flight lady as "The Millers" before we even scanned our boarding passes. As I entered the plane, I was a little taken back because of the smallness of it. There were only 3 seats across (two on one side and one on the other). I felt like I maybe suffered from claustrophobia but the feelings left after a while.

We had a layover in Houston, TX in which we didn't have to wait long until our next flight to TORREON, MX!!:) When we got off our plane, we met two of the chicas we would be teaching and living with named Natalie and Lesley. We chatted it up until we boarded the plane. The plane was the same size as the plane from MSP to TX, however, we switched it up a little and I had the window seat:). I am pretty sure that Breanna would agree with me in that we were EXHAUSTED!.

To top off my awesome day, we arrive in Torreon and find out our luggage and one of the other girl's did not travel with us. So here we were with the clothes on our backs and our carry-ons, but hey we still had our comps and ipods;). We made it through customs and met Miss Eren who was taking us to where we were going to live. She already made me smile with her hospitality and sass. As we were driving to our houses, I was observing and taking in the sights. I am not sure what I thought MX would look like but it isn't quite what I envisioned.

Once we arrived to the various houses, we were to choose which house we wanted and with whom we would live with. Breanna and I chose house D, which includes our new amigas Malita, Natalie and another girl who hasn't arrived yet. It is a pretty sweet set-up and it has air conditioning!. It has a cute little courtyard and the rooms are bigger than I previously thought. The closets and the bathrooms aren't bad either. I will post some pictures soon! I had to chuckle because I plopped on my bed and there was no movement. Our so called mattresses are basically a huge rectangular chunk of foam.

Most of the people were busy unpacking all of their stuff but Natalie, Breanna, and I couldn't because of our little luggage problemo:) so we went over and met up with the boys (all 2 of them haha) and headed to find some grub and see where the sports club where we get free admission was. We didn't think it would be too far because our handy little mapa made it seem like a hop skip and a jump......it was far from it. We did get lost but hey we made it and got lunch in the mean time. The sports club was nicer than they made it out to be and I'm happy enough because it has a POOL.

After we got back from the club, we met up with two other girls, Lesley and Jen, and decided we needed some things from Walmart which would help kill some time until we got our luggage. Yes, I know what you are thinking and though we aren't proud of it, we needed some essentials. After walmart we decided to find some supper grub and walked around until we found some burgers. They weren't too bad. The thing that is hard to get used to is thinking in pesos but that will come in time. The one thing I wish I could do is be able to rattle off and comprehend Spanish like the other girls.

When we got back, we were hoping our luggage would come soon after but it didn't. We didn't get it until midnight and by that time we could hardly function so we took enough time to make our beds and the lights were out! It was a LONG day!

No comments: